Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 14 Growth Mindset: Multiple Intelligences



I'm a big believer in the idea of multiple intelligences and the potential of ALL humans to make contributions and shine in their unique talents. I like the different examples Marek Bennett has listed here of ways one can be gifted and intelligent .
However, I worry that this idea -- and some of these specific categories -- lend themselves to a mindset of limited growth. For example, a class I took for my music education coursework had us take a "musical aptitude" test, to see where we rate on our inherent aptitude for melodic and rhythmic capabilities. I am a decently accomplished musician and feel confident in my musical intelligence, but I scored very low on aptitude in both areas. If I had taken that test as a kid with an idea of multiple intelligences, I might have thought of myself as not "intelligent" in this field and been discouraged from devoting myself to it. I think it's important to remember that even though intelligence is a much wider field than its typically thought of, hard work is still the most important factor in success!



No comments:

Post a Comment