Friday, January 22, 2016

Overview

I decided to read the public domain edition of the Ramayana. I was really conflicted looking at the pros and cons for each -- I liked that Narayan's version was collected into a single volume and had such a helpful reading guide. However, I was really drawn to the audio option included with the PDE. I commute to my job in OKC, which gives me at least an hour each week day to listen on my phone. I think I'm also going to appreciate having the stories presented by different writers, so I feel like I'm getting a wider perspective on the styles in which these stories are presented. Having the illustrations alongside the text will also definitely help me immerse in the world of the Ramayana -- and, let's be real, they're just plain cool.
The illustrations were definitely what drew my eye, and I'm so excited to get to know the cast of characters featured in them. As an art enthusiast, the distinct style absolutely fascinates me. I'm also really interested in the parallels with other mythology systems that I've already noticed, such as the divine creation of natural landmarks like the Ganges River, or the relationships between gods and goddesses and their human subjects. On the other hand, the unique factors of Indian culture, like the caste system and all of Hinduism's traditions are going to be really neat to learn about in this context. 

(19th century; Wellcome Images V0045907)

As a music nerd with a huge interest in ethnomusicology, I'm always intrigued to learn about the role music plays in different cultures and faiths. This image of Parvati playing for Shiva got me really excited to find out more! I took an introductory ethnomusicology class a few years ago that included a unit on Indian music, but we spent much more time discussing the technical features -- scales, rhythmic motives, etc. -- than the traditions and beliefs themselves. 
Other than that tiny bit of information about musical structure, I honestly know very little about Indian history and culture. I've never taken any other classes involving mythology or religion, but I do enjoy learning about both topics! I also have a very American view of modern Indian culture; I love Slumdog Millionaire, and a show starring Aziz Ansari called Master of None that frequently explores what it's like to be a second-generation Indian immigrant in America, but I know that those are both from an American viewpoint. 
I recognize a lot of the names that I've seen so far, but I really couldn't tell you much about their character or actions, and most of them I wouldn't have recognized without the captions.
I know Indian culture is a huge gap in my knowledge and I'm honestly really grateful for the opportunity to correct this problem through this class! :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you will find so many connections between your interests in this class, Kayla! And while th epics are focused on Vishnu, I am sure you will want to learn more about Shiva in the second half of the semester: he is the Nataraja, the Lord of the Dance! Shiva - Nataraja ... so keep an eye out for mentions of Shiva as you read the Ramayana and then the Mahabharata. He shows up here and there in the epics, and then I am sure you will want to learn more about him later on, as well as enjoying the amazing Shiva artwork, very beautiful stuff!

    ReplyDelete