Thursday, January 21, 2016

Introduction to a Music Educator

Hi, I'm Kayla!

     I'm a senior majoring in Instrumental Music Education and French. This is my last semester of classes, and then in the fall I'll student teach.
     Being a music major is a pretty unique way to experience college; for the first two or three years, we're all in the same building all day, taking one music class after another with the same group of 10-20 people. Everyone has to do 5 semesters of theory, 4 semesters of aural skills, 4 semesters of piano, 4 semesters of musicology (music history), and then if you're an education major, all of the instrumental methods classes AND music ed courses. As you can imagine, there's a pretty tight sense of community -- and that's without even considering the studio you're in every single semester or the ensembles you perform with. It's typical for a music ed major to be in up to 13 classes on top of their obligation to practice every day. All of this adds up to a group of very busy, very sleepy, VERY stressed musicians who resent everyone and everything but each other (...but honestly, sometimes each other too).
     After I graduate, I'd like to teach middle school band for a few years in an urban school district. Then, I'd like to go to grad school for either music ed or musicology. 
     My ultimate dream in life is to do research, regardless of the field I wind up in. If I go into music ed, I'd like to explore the ways music education can help close the achievement gap between low- and high-income students. There has been some promising research on this topic published only recently, so I'm really excited about its possibilities for the future! If I decide to pursue musicology, I think I'd like to focus on either the influence of Romantic culture on the fin du siècle Paris Conservatoire or on the influence of French colonialism on the musical traditions in Senegal. Clearly, I'm the type of person with way too many interests, and my biggest challenge in life has always been picking which of my passions to pursue.
     In addition to music and French, I also enjoy writing and painting, two things I'd do in my free time if I had any. I tend to follow politics pretty closely, because I think it's important to stay informed and active. 
     I've lived in Norman since the first grade, so this town is definitely my home. I have a cat and a dog, both of whom I would spend every waking (and sleeping) moment with if at all possible. 
My dog is half golden retriever and half corgi. He's pretty dumb, but really loving and goofy. 


My cat is very small, skittish, and affectionate. She didn't love her Hallowe'en costume this year.





15 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla!
    I really like the background and the fonts you have chosen for your blog page. Your kitty-taco is too cute! I have two cats, one will let me dress him, he's so chill. But my female cat won't have any of it! Your dog is the most unique blend I have ever seen. He is adorable! Those are two breeds of dogs I really like.

    Congrats on being a senior! It's great feeling, we are nearly done! I hope you enjoy this class and have a great semester. You are the first music major I have met (well sorta...)here at OU. It is nice to make your acquaintance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla,

    I just wanted to echo the fact that this is the best blog I've seen so far, really looking good!

    SO, I have a confession; I have never really taken and musical education classes. I had mandatory choir in elementary school, but when everyone else was signing up for band or orchestra in the sixth grade, I was one of the only kids to refuse. I'm not entirely sure why, either. Maybe it was just that I wanted to be different, or maybe I was just stubborn (probably the latter). Anyway, we're kind of opposites in that.

    But that only makes me respect you and your passion more. I don't think I could get that fired up about music ed, and that's why the world needs more people like you. If you walk the walk in addition to talking the talk, I think you'll make a real difference in the lives of your students.

    Best of luck to you in that, as well as in this class. Onto your storybook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kayla

    I like the way you have your blog set up! This is my first time making a blog and I chose the most basic one. Its good to know that you are interested in going into research. I am also interested in doing research! I hope you enjoy your very last semester. You’re almost there! I can tell you have a large interest in music by the way you write about it. That passion you have will take you far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kayla

    I like the way you have your blog set up! This is my first time making a blog and I chose the most basic one. Its good to know that you are interested in going into research. I am also interested in doing research! I hope you enjoy your very last semester. You’re almost there! I can tell you have a large interest in music by the way you write about it. That passion you have will take you far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kayla! There was an opera major in this class a few years ago... and I think you are the first music education student. How exciting! A friend of mine is a music teacher in England; you might enjoy her blog - her name is Laura Ritchie. From what you wrote about your work with ESO, I bet you would really enjoy what she does. She just published a book on "self-efficacy" which is connected with the whole idea of growth mindset: LauraRitchie.com. Just as Carol Dweck emphasizes "the power of yet," Laura's motto is "Yes, I can!" If you use Twitter, she uses #YesICan as her hashtag.

    And thank you for sharing the cute pictures of your pets! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kayla, I cannot believe the required classes that music majors are expected to take – I had no idea! That is one thing that I like about this class so far: I have been able to “meet” people from completely different areas of study and I’ve learned a lot from this! Being in Price College of Business, I don’t interact with many other schools on campus. You really impress me! Also, I really like your background on your blog and font!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kayla! It is a pleasure to 'meet' you. Congratulations on your final semester of classes, and I hope you have fun with your student teaching experience. I think it is awesome that you are studying French. I tried to teach myself French one time, but I just couldn't get the accent quite right. Also, the research you mentioned about bridging the gap between low and high income individuals is a very interesting topic. I may even look into some research there too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kayla!
    It is so amazing that you are going to be a music educator! I have such a deep appreciation for anyone going into the education field – teachers shape the lives of our future generations! I think your dream of going into research is so profound – I had never thought of music being a bridge between low- and high-income students. I look forward to reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kayla,
    That's one cool major! My little did band in high school and she always talks about how close she was with her director. I bet you will really impact some kids lives with that career. You seem really passionate about your research so I hope you enjoy getting to do more work with that! Your cat's costume was top notch haha! Best of luck this semester. Power through, you're almost to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kayla,

    It was nice getting to know you through your introduction post! You seem like such a busy, hardworking student! I really had no idea that the music major had sooo many hours of work and practice. Bravo to you and all your fellow classmates! I always wished I could play an instrument but I never got the chance to. I also love how you may want to teach children in the future. I want to work with kids as well (but in physical therapy). Whatever path you choose, I think you will be great, focused, and hardworking, doing research to your heart’s content!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kayla,

    It was pleasant meeting you. I find your major and life plan cool. I don’t hear about many people going into the arts as educators. I think it is very admirable especially since a lot of attention has declined in the art and music spectrum in schools, while athletics have taken over so much. I wish you well this semester and on your endeavors after graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Kayla!

    What a pleasure to meet you! As I was reading your introduction and your love for music, I got incredibly nostalgic because I was a HUGE (and I mean huge) choir nerd in highschool. Although I did not pursue music in college, choosing instead to focus on a biology major, it is still one of my biggest passions and I sing wherever I get the chance.
    I think that your want to teach in an urban city is very admirable and you seem like you will be changing lives in the future!

    Good Luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kayla,

    That is awesome that you are graduating! I bet you are pumped! I think it is good you are interested in so many things. It is easier to keep opportunities open if a door closes! One of my best friends is a music major, so I have seen how all the business of music goes. Good luck with all of your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Kayla,
    I enjoyed reading your introduction, Kayla. It is great that you will be teaching the next fall. That will be a new experience which you will experience pretty soon. Good luck with that. It is nice how you love music. I am looking forward to read more of your blogs. It was nice meeting you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete