Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My Favorite Place

I'm extremely fortunate in that my favorite place right now is my place of employment! I work at El Sistema Oklahoma, an after-school orchestra program for at-risk students in Oklahoma City. ESO is modeled after the original Venezuelan El Sistema program, which has inspired the creation of dozens of similar programs throughout the world, including ours. 
Students in grades 3 through 8 attend the program for 2 hours each school day, where they receive not only instruction in musical topics such as musical literacy, composition, and instrumental performance, but also fundamental resources that may be incomplete or lacking due to the relatively low SES of our families, such as homework help and nutritious snacks. 
El Sistema is my favorite place because my students are my favorite people; as cliché as it sounds, they truly inspire me every day. Going to work feels like going home -- even if that home is comprised mostly of 200+ rambunctious children.


Gustavo Dudamel, creative director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, is perhaps El Sistema's most famous alumnus. Here, he directs the original El Sistema program in Caracas, Venezuela.
By Macpirulin (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons



At the beginning of the year, my students explored non-traditional methods of composition, including graphically notated aleatory. We use group projects to help fulfill ESO's highest purpose: enacting social change by guiding our students to joyful music making.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kayla, I was SO EXCITED to read your post. I have heard of El Sistema (I am really interested in all kinds of topics related to education)... but I had no idea that there was an El Sistema Oklahoma. I think that is BRILLIANT, and I am really glad to know someone who is involved in ESO. Please let me know about any events, fundraising, anything like that which I can include in the class announcements. That would be my pleasure! As you may have guessed, my goal in this class is joyful storytelling. It would be great if you can share some ideas about joyful music making that could help me do a better job in these classes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla!
    This is such a neat program, I have never heard of it before. It is so great to have a "job" that is so much more because of the rewards it brings for you and others. I am glad these programs exist so that we have hope for future generations. Our economic issues in this nation pose huge challenges for these children. I am interested in finding out more about the program now that I know it exists.

    ReplyDelete