Monday, March 7, 2016

Week 7: Famous Last Words

This week was a crazy mic of exciting and exhausting! Just looking back on everything that happened is making me tired again, haha.

I had fun this week revising the Mahabharata from a different perspective. My favorite character, Amba, got a depressing but awesome starring role in Sister Nevedita's version, so I was pretty stoked to read more about her incarnation Sikhandin(i), and to get to write about her again. I tried a more traditional prose approach this time, since a lot of the comments on my previous Amba story said that the more poetic, stream-of-consciousness style was a bit confusing. 

El Sistema had their mid-winter concert on Wednesday -- concerts are always SO stressful from the teacher standpoint, because when you have 220 children divided into three orchestras, things tend to get a little hectic. Luckily, the logistics behind the scenes of this concert were amazingly smooth, so things ran just like they were supposed to. Most importantly, our students played AMAZINGLY! We were so proud, and even more excited for the future of our program! At our staff meeting the next day, I was notified that I will be getting a promotion after spring break, so things ended on a very happy note after all of the stress.

And finally, the rest of my whole life this week has been dominated by the OPERA. Woof. This has been such an exhausting activity. The opera is three hours long, which is a long time to be sitting in a dark pit (literally, that's where the orchestra goes). Add to that the fact that we've had dress rehearsals or performances every single day since last Sunday, and you can see why I'm happy that it's over. However, I have to admit that it was a great opportunity and I know I came out of it a better musician... just also a very tired musician.
If you came to see Eugene Onegin last week, you heard me! Hope I sounded okay!


The poster for OU's production of Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin


No comments:

Post a Comment