Monday, March 7, 2016

Growth Mindset: Practice to Get Good Results


As a musician, I connected to this Growth Mindset in two ways. 
One, consistent practice is the only way to get better. Duh! This one was obvious, and it's something that every practicer of any skill knows. However, it can still be a tedious, time-consuming activity; therefore, one must remember the reward!
The second is less obvious, and even more difficult: if practice is the act of repeating something until it's easy, then I have to make sure what I'm repeating is absolutely the perfect result I want. It's tempting during long practice sessions to speed things up, get a little careless, and let a few mistakes slip in without much worry. However, there's a mantra musicians repeat to ourselves that I think can be applied to much of life: Don't practice until you can play it right. Practice until you can never play it wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment