Monday, April 25, 2016

Week 13: Famous Last Words

What a week!
In this class, I read The Five Tall Sons of Pandu, which was a really quick and easy-to-read version of the Mahabharata that focused on the five Pandava brothers. It was interesting to read the same stories with almost all of the mystical or spiritual elements removed; it was very much grounded in a possible reality. To be honest, I found myself missing those more fantastical elements a bit. I wouldn't have guessed it, since I'm a huge history nerd and not typically big on fantasy, but I really felt like they added a unique charm to the epics.
I was also able to wrap up my trilogy on Amba/Sikhandini/Sikhandin with my story about Bishma's death and Sikhandin's reaction. I really loved going in depth into this fascinating character in all of her/his various lives. It's also been neat reading the comments from classmates, most of whom didn't seem particularly stricken by this character throughout their readings of the Mahabharata. It's nice to think that my obsession may have led someone else to reconsider the role of the character in the various stories.
I also learned from a friend that I had been pronouncing "Mahabharata" REALLY incorrectly throughout my time in this class. I guess that's the pitfall of an online class! I was really grateful to learn and correct my mistake, even if it happened a bit late in the semester.


In my other classes, it has been a very stressful week musically. I had my second Recital Preview -- where you play a bit of your recital for your entire area faculty, and they say whether or not you're ready to give the recital on your preferred date. Since I am double majoring in two separate music fields, I've had to give two senior recitals this semester, which has been INCREDIBLY stressful. Happily, I passed, and my second and final recital is a go! I will be presenting a brief lecture on Darius Milhaud's life and influences, exploring in detail his associations with jazz and futurism, and then performing his Sonatine pour flûte et piano. I've never given a lecture recital before, so I'm nervous but excited about this new experience.
I also performed with the OU Symphony Orchestra yesterday for the last time ever! Throughout my time at OU, I've played in pretty much every large ensemble, but the Orchestra has definitely been my favorite. I'm so grateful for all that I've learned and pushed myself to achieve from being in such a high standards environment, surrounded by mostly grad students!
I am also performing with the OU Civic Orchestra on Tuesday night. I'm excited to play a really great program with some inspirational colleagues -- most of the members of Civic are non-majors or community members who have decided to keep up their life in music.


No comments:

Post a Comment