Monday, February 15, 2016

Week 2 Storytelling: Loyal Lakshmana

Author's note: 
In reading the stories of Rama's journey with Vishvamitra, I found it curious that Lakshmana was present for essentially every major event in the adventure. One of a set of twins, one would expect Lakshmana to be more connected with Shatrughna, but he alone is chosen to accompany Rama. With each subsequent event in Rama's journey, it became clear that he was by far the most important figure in the story, with the most importance, and I became more curious as to why Lakshmana was included in the story at all -- Rama was consistently depicted as someone with the powers and blessings necessary to overcome any obstacle.
Eventually, my curiosity got the better of me. Would Lakshmana ever rise to the status of his brother? Would he eventually grow tired of his role as the side-kick, and yearn for more? Or was he really content to stay firmly in Rama's shadow, ever the loyal companion but never the equal? More than anything, I thought about how it must have felt to come to the same realization I did as I read the stories -- Rama was truly special, unprecedented, and superior. Lakshmana, though conceived by the same blessing of Vishnu, would never be the favored son.



1 comment:

  1. Kayla, I sent you an email just now about moving to the Mahabharata. If you did some Ramayana reading, that's great; you can use that in the SECOND HALF of the semester. Week 5 has started today; please move on to the Mahabharata, and you can work on the Ramayana in the second half of the semester.

    ReplyDelete